Friday, August 12, 2011

Fashion Cycles


Met my daughter in the afternoon at the Banana Republic flagship downtown in San Francisco to look at their much-publicized Madmen collection. We are both somewhat susceptible to a Fifties silhouette, and clearly we are not alone.

After much study and discussion we acquired three of the separates pictured above: magenta skirt at lower right, black lace shell at lower left, and silky navy-blue blouse (shown at upper right under gold cardigan, but also visible in a different, amethyst color at upper left) .



The men's side of the collection featured little hats like these. Charming hats, I thought (but then, I never wear any hat at all).

The women's looks did not come with hats. I started thinking about the actual, historical 1950s (and earlier fashion decades also, right back into the 19th century). Neither men nor women in downtown urban settings ever went outdoors without some kind of covering on their heads. Young or old, rich or poor, it simply would not have seemed decent to do without.

When I got home I decided to look through my black-and-white picture file with attention to hats. There were more there than I expected, though none is likely to be updated anytime soon for sale at Banana Republic.











Photo sources here and here and here