Saturday, October 7, 2023

Dance (metaphoric)

Tadanori Yokoo
The Great Mirror of the Dance
as an Immolative Sacrifice

1968
screenprint poster
Victoria & Albert Museum, London

Josiah Wedgwood
Salt Cellar - Dancing Hours
ca. 1780-85
jasperware
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Rufino Tamayo
Dancers over the Sea
1945
oil on canvas
Cincinnati Art Museum

Joseph Cornell
Homage to the Romantic Ballet
1942
assemblage (wood, glass, paper)
Art Institute of Chicago

Mary Cockburn Mercer
Ballet
ca. 1939
oil on canvas
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne

John Maxwell
Red Ballet
1938
oil on panel
Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow

Yoshiharu Higa
Merry Dancers
1970
screenprint
Cincinnati Art Museum

Boris Gorelick
I Recall the Dance
ca. 1937-39
lithograph
Philadelphia Museum of Art

Wilhelm Klotzek
Mocne Ballet
("Mocne" is a Polish-made cigarette)
2014
painted steel
Gemäldegalerie, Dresden

Henri Matisse
La Danse
1935-36
color aquatint
Yale University Art Gallery

Cornelis Massys
Dancing Cripples
before 1556
engraving
Cleveland Museum of Art

Vladimir Gazovic
Ricercari: Dance of the Ungrateful I
1972
lithograph
Cleveland Museum of Art

Vladimir Gazovic
Ricercari: Dance of the Ungrateful II
1972
lithograph
Cleveland Museum of Art

Kenji Nakahashi
Last Dance
1996
C-print
Cleveland Museum of Art

Helmut Newton
Scene from Pina Bausch's ballet Die Keuschheitslegende
1991
platinum palladium print
Princeton University Art Museum

David Shrigley
All Must Dance
2014
acrylic on paper
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne

from The Owl

I've heard stories about owls, how they
appear from nowhere at the edge of things
to sit watching, usually staying silent,
but sometimes uttering a few words in 
their night language we don't understand.
That's my fellow, although I don't know him.
Should I leave the house and hold my
right arm out for him to land on and turn
his big eyes on me? As if he'd be so compliant.
Or should I try to forget him, pretend
he's not there in the dark, like a tree
I hadn't noticed growing? Or at least
I should stop mentioning  him here, but what
else can I write about? Not the journey
I'm taking that I know nothing of, not yet,
and when I do I mightn't feel like writing.
I think the solution might be to buy
a T-shirt with an owl printed on it,
a blue owl, on a yellow shirt, and write
about that small fellow to begin with.

– Matthew Sweeney (2018)