![]() |
| Anonymous German Artist Repeat Pattern with Roses and Pinks 16th century woodcut Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, Braunschweig |
![]() |
| Virgil Solis The Muse Terpsichore before 1562 etching and engraving Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, Braunschweig |
![]() |
| Anonymous Artist Pressmark of the Heirs of Andreas Wechel, Frankfurt 1631 woodcut and letterpress Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Vienna |
![]() |
| Johann Baptist Homann Flags of all the Seafaring Nations of the World ca. 1700 hand-colored engraving Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, Braunschweig |
![]() |
| Albert Klingner National-Zeitung (newspaper) ca. 1900 lithograph (poster) Kunstbibliothek, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin |
![]() |
| Josef Sattler Ex Libris Paul Voigt ca. 1900 lithograph Kunstbibliothek, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin |
![]() |
| Koloman Moser Jakob and Josef Kohn Furniture Company ca. 1902-1906 lithograph (poster) Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Franz Wiegele Model Study 1908 drawing Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Ernst Lübbert Tolstoi 1911 lithograph (poster) Kunstbibliothek, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin |
![]() |
| C.F. Clarke Moonlight in Winter 1912 photogravure Kunstbibliothek, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin |
![]() |
| Charlotte Wankel Standing Figure 1926 oil on canvas Nasjonalmuseet, Oslo |
![]() |
| Alexander Rodchenko Dynamic Column 1935 gelatin silver print Institut Valencià d'Art Modern |
![]() |
| Esteban Vicente Número 4 1949 collage and mixed media on panel Institut Valencià d'Art Modern |
![]() |
| Alphons Freijmuth Portrait of Pieter Holstein 1972 acrylic on canvas Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle, Netherlands |
![]() |
| Quique Company ACTV ca. 1987-93 screenprint (poster for discotheque) Institut Valencià d'Art Modern |
![]() |
| Cy Twombly Lepanto VII 2001 acrylic paint, crayon and graphite on canvas Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich |
Cleopatra
How shall I plead my cause, when you, my judge,
Already have condemned me? Shall I bring
The love you bore me for my advocate?
That now is turned against me, that destroys me,
For love once past is at the best forgotten,
But oftener sours to hate: 'twill please my Lord
To ruin me, and therefore I'll be guilty.
But could I once have thought it would have pleased you,
That you would pry with narrow searching eyes
Into my faults, severe to my destruction,
And watching all advantages with care
That serve to make me wretched? Speak, my Lord,
For I end here. Though I deserve this usage,
Was it like you to give it?
Antony Oh, you wrong me
To think I sought this parting, or desired
To accuse you more than what will clear myself
And justify this breach.
* * *
Ventidius O Siren! Siren!
Yet grant that all the love she boasts were true,
Has she not ruined you? I still urge that,
That fatal consequence.
Cleopatra The consequence indeed,
For I dare challenge him, my greatest foe,
To say it was designed . . .
– John Dryden, All for Love (1677)


-Pressmark-of-Heirs-of-Andreas-Wechel-(Frankfurt)-1631-woodcut-and-letterpress-(Pegasus)-Museum-f%C3%BCr-Angewandte-Kunst-Vienna.jpg)

-c1900-lithograph-(poster)-Kunstbibliothek-Staatliche-Museen-zu-Berlin.jpg)

-Graphische-Sammlung-Albertina-Vienna.jpg)

-Kunstbibliothek-Staatliche-Museen-zu-Berlin.jpg)





-Institut-Valenci%C3%A0-d'Art-Modern.jpeg)
