Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Visual Preferences (20th Century: 1977)

Alicia Austin
Black God's Shadow
1977
watercolor and ink on paper
New Britain Museum of American Art, Connecticut

Jay Backstrand
Stepping Down 1 & 2
1977
mixed media on canvas
Tacoma Art Museum

Marsha Burns
Untitled (L.V.D.)
1977
gelatin silver print
Seattle Art Museum

Jo Ann Callis
Man with Tie
1977
dye imbibition print
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

William Christenberry
Corn Sign with Storm near Greensboro, Alabama
1977
C-print
Akron Art Museum, Ohio

Langdon Clay
Tablesetting - Natchez, Mississippi
1977
C-print
Art Institute of Chicago

Salvador Dali
Les Diners de Gala
1977
lithograph
NSU Art Museum, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Karel Appel
Sitting in a Landscape
1977
acrylic on paper, mounted on canvas
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Dieter Appelt
The Mark on the Mirror made by Breathing
1977
gelatin silver print
Art Institute of Chicago

Willem De Kooning
Untitled
1977
oil on paper, mounted on panel
Dayton Art Institute, Ohio

Roy Dean De Forest
Slow Time in Arcadia
1977
acrylic on canvas
San Jose Museum of Art, California

Robert Motherwell
The Times, London, August 6
1977
acrylic paint, charcoal and collage on board
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Robert Cumming
Edith Head and her Miniature Sewing Machine Collection
(Miss Head's Bungalow)
1977
gelatin silver print
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Larry Fink
Benefit - The Museum of Modern Art, New York City
1977
gelatin silver print
Akron Art Museum, Ohio

Ronald Davis
Parallelepiped Vents #545
1977
acrylic on canvas
Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Jim Dine
Multicolored Robe
1977
hand-colored lithograph and etching
Dallas Museum of Art

from Memorial for the City

                                             III
          Across the square,
Between the burnt-out Law Courts and Police Headquarters,
Past the Cathedral far too damaged to repair,
Around the Grand Hotel patched up to hold reporters,
     Near huts of some Emergency Committee,
     The barbed wire runs through the abolished City.

          Across the plains,
Between two hills, two villages, two trees, two friends, 
The barbed wire runs which neither argues nor explains
But, where it likes, a place, a path, a railroad ends,
     The humor, the cuisine, the rites, the taste,
     The pattern of the City, are erased.

          Across our sleep
The barbed wire also runs: It trips us so we fall
And white ships sail without us though the others weep,
It makes our sorry fig-leaf at the Sneerers' Ball,
     It ties the smiler to the double-bed,
     It keeps on growing from the witch's head.

          Behind the wire
Which is behind the mirror, our Image is the same
Awake or dreaming: It has no image to admire,
No age, no sex, no memory, no creed, no name,
     It can be counted, multiplied, employed
     In any place, at any time destroyed.

          Is It our friend?
No, that is our hope; that we weep and It does not grieve,
That for It the wire and the ruins are not the end:
This is the flesh we are but never would believe,
     The flesh we die but it is death to pity;
     This is Adam waiting for His City.

Let Our Weakness speak

                                             IV
Without me Adam would have fallen irrevocably with Lucifer; he
                              would never have been able to cry O felix culpa.
It was I who suggested his theft to Prometheus; my frailty cost 
                                                                                     Adonis his life.
I heard Orpheus sing; I was not quite as moved as they say.
I was not taken in by the sheep's-eyes of Narcissus; I was angry with 
                                                              Psyche when she struck a light.
I was in Hector's confidence; so far as it went.
Had he listened to me Oedipus would never have left Corinth; I cast 
                                                               no vote at the trial of Orestes.
I fell asleep when Diotima spoke of love; I was not responsible for
                                                 the monsters that tempted St. Anthony.
To me the Saviour permitted His Fifth Word from the cross; to be a
                                                               stumbling-block to the stoics.
I was the unwelcome third at the meetings of Tristan and Isolda;
                                                                        they tried to poison me.
I rode with Galahad on his Quest for the San Graal; without
                                                             understanding I kept his vow.
I was the just impediment to the marriage of Faustus with Helen; I
                                                                  know a ghost when I see one.
With Hamlet I had no patience; but I forgave Don Quixote all for
                                                                           his admission in the cart.
I was the missing entry in Don Giovanni's list; for which he could
                                                                                            never account.
I assisted Figaro the Barber in all his intrigues; when Prince Tamino
                                         arrived at wisdom I too obtained my reward.
I was innocent of the sin of the Ancient Mariner; time after time I
                                                     warned Captain Ahab to accept happiness.
As for Metropolis, that too-great city; her delusions are not mine.
Her speeches impress me little, her statistics less; to all who dwell on
                           the public side of her mirrors, resentments and no peace.
At the place of my passion her photographers are gathered together;
                                                    but I shall rise again to hear her judged.

– W.H. Auden (1949)