Saturday, September 19, 2026

Pattern Making

Taddeo Zuccaro
Design for Wall Fresco with Ornamental Surround
ca. 1553-56
drawing
Kupferstichkabinett, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin

Girolamo Muziano and Cesare Nebbia
Coat of Arms of Pope Sixtus V
ca. 1585-90
ceiling freso
Galleria della Carte Geografice, Musei Vaticani

Anonymous British Maker
Sampler
17th century 
linen with drawn-work in five patterns
Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge

Beauvais Manufactory
The Dance
(from the Grand Mogul cycle)
ca. 1715
wool and silk tapestry
Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna

Sèvres Manufactory
Three-Legged Milk Jug
1770
porcelain
Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge

Josef Reinisch
Prince Joseph Wenzel I von Liechtenstein lying in state
1772
gouache on vellum
Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna

Carl Daniel Voigts
Designs for Ornamental Wall Panels
1798
gouache on paper
Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Vienna

Wiener Porzellanmanufaktur
Antique Trophy Motif
18th century
drawing
Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Vienna

August Rokert
Hydrocharis morsus-ranae
ca. 1840
watercolor on paper
Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna

Maurice Denis
Orchard in the Hermitage
ca. 1892
oil on cardboard, mounted on panel
Clemens-Sels Museum, Neuss, Germany

John Singer Sargent
Albanian Olive-Gatherers
1909
oil on canvas
Manchester Art Gallery

Fernand Léger
Nudes in the Forest
1909-10
oil on canvas
Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo, Netherlands

Burkhardt Mangold
Exhibition of Swiss Art, Neuchâtel
1912
lithograph (poster)
Kunstbibliothek, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin

Umberto Boccioni
Horizontal Volumes
1912
oil on canvas
Pinakothek der Moderne, Munich

Ilya Kabakov
Les Mots dans Le Ciel
1989
lithograph
Cabinet d'Arts Graphiques des Musées d'Art et d'Histoire, Genève

Daan van Golden
Heerenlux I
1993
pigment on canvas
Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo, Netherlands

Cleopatra
     Then judge my love by this.                (Giving Antony a writing) 
                                                    Could I have borne
     A life or death, a happiness or woe
     From yours divided, this had given me means.

Antony
     By Hercules, the writing of Octavius!
     I know it well; 'tis that proscribing hand,
     Young as it was, that led the way to mine,
     And left me but the second place in murder.* 
     See, see, Ventidius! Here he offers Egypt,
     And joins all Syria to it as a present,
     So, in requital, she forsake my fortunes,
     And join her arms with his.

Cleopatra                                And yet you leave me!
     You leave me, Antony, and yet I love you,
     Indeed I do. I have refused a kingdom:
     That's a trifle:
     For I could part with life, with anything
     But only you. Oh, let me die but with you!
     Is that a hard request?

Antony                            Next living with you,
     'Tis all that Heaven can give.   

Alexas (aside)                             He melts; we conquer.

Cleopatra
     No; you shall go. Your interest calls you hence;
     Yes, your dear interest pulls too strong for these
     Weak arms to hold you here –

– John Dryden, All for Love (1677)

*the Triumvirate (Octavius, Antony, Lepidus) put to death many of their political opponents.