Monday, February 7, 2011

Lens Cap




















During the Valentine making party on Saturday I thought I'd take a picture or two of my granddaughter playing quietly in her blue reclining chair. But then she noticed the lens cap dangling from the strap of my camera and (for reasons best known to her) it proved an object of inexhaustible fascination. We played the lens cap game for the next ten minutes, at least. She would reach for it and grab it and then pull it toward her mouth but I would keep enough contrary pressure on the cord to prevent any lens cap eating. I knew I didn't want to let her put the lens cap into her mouth, yet worried that being repeatedly prevented might frustrate and annoy her. But no. She was no more inclined to frustration than a kitten playing with a ball of yarn. And though I am second to none in my admiration of kittens, I have to say that Mabel Watson Payne is approximately a thousand times more fun than any conceivable kitten.