Tuesday, August 3, 2021

European Drawings before 1900

Giambattista Tiepolo
Roman Soldier
ca. 1720-22
drawing
Princeton University Art Museum

Jan Lievens
Trumpeter on Horseback
ca. 1625-28
drawing
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Charles-Antoine Coypel
Portrait of Cornelius Galle the Younger at Age 18
before 1752
drawing
(adapted from lost miniature)
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Annibale Carracci
Studies for Sleeping Venus
ca. 1602
drawing
Städel Museum, Frankfurt

Annibale Carracci
Recumbent Model
ca. 1583-85
drawing
Nationalmuseum, Stockholm

Luigi Asioli after Francesco Rosaspina
Studies of Soldier and Horse
ca. 1835-45
drawing
Museo Civico, Comune di Correggio

John Flaxman
Prometheus Chained
ca. 1792-93
drawing (print study)
British Museum

Fernão Gomes
Martyrdom of St Sebastian
ca. 1590
drawing
Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, Lisbon

from Eleven Addresses to the Lord

Master of beauty, craftsman of the snowflake,
inimitable contriver,
endower of Earth so gorgeous & different from the boring Moon,
thank you for such as it is my gift.

I have made up a morning prayer to you
containing with precision everything that most matters.
'According to Thy will' the thing begins.
It took me off & on two days. It does not aim at eloquence.

You have come to my rescue again & again
in my impassable, sometimes despairing years.
You have allowed my brilliant friends to destroy themselves
and I am still here, severely damaged but functioning.

Unknowable, as I am unknown to my guinea pigs:
how can I 'love' you?
I only as far as gratitude & awe
confidently & absolutely go.

I have no idea whether we live again.
It doesn't seem likely
from either the scientific or the philosophical point of view
but certainly all things are possible to you,

and I believe as fixedly in the Resurrection-appearances to Peter & to Paul
as I believe I sit in this blue chair.
Only that may have been a special case
to establish their initiatory faith.

– John Berryman (Love & Fame, 1970)

attributed to Jean Lepautre
Frieze of Mythological Creatures from an Antique Relief
before 1682
drawing
Harvard Art Museums

Wilhelm Marstrand
Double Portrait of artists E.F. Kloss and G. Pellicia
ca. 1836-40
drawing
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

attributed to Giovanni Balducci
Study of a Youth
before 1631
drawing
Art Institute of Chicago

Gianlorenzo Bernini
Académie
ca. 1618-24
drawing
Princeton University Art Museum

Simon-François Ravenet the Younger
Académie
ca. 1780
drawing
British Museum

 Pierre-Ernest Prins
Manet on his Deathbed
ca. 1883
drawing (charcoal and pastel)
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Edgar Degas
Study of Two Dancers
ca. 1890
drawing (charcoal and pastel)
Musée Fin de Siècle, Brussels