Sunday, May 27, 2018

Baroque Drawings by Simon Vouet (part two)

Simon Vouet
Angel playing a lute
before 1649
drawing
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Simon Vouet
Seated King or Hero
ca. 1630
drawing
Harvard Art Museums

Simon Vouet
Kneeling man with raised arms
before 1649
drawing
Harvard Art Museums

from The New Noah

If time started anew,
and waters submerged the face of life,
and the earth convulsed, and that god
rushed to me, beseeching, "Noah, save the living!"
I would not concern myself with his request.
I would travel upon my ark, removing
clay and pebbles from the eyes of the dead.
I would open the depths of their being to the flood,
and whisper in their veins
that we have returned from the wilderness,
that we have emerged from the cave,
that we have changed the sky of years,
that we sail without giving in to our fears –
that we do not heed the word of that god.
Our appointment is with death.
Our shores are a familiar and pleasing despair,
a gelid sea of iron water that we ford
to its very ends, undeterred,
heedless of that god and his word,
longing for a different, a new, lord.

– Adonis, translated from Arabic by Shawkat M. Toorawa (2007)

Simon Vouet
St Mary Magdalene
1640s
drawing
British Museum

Simon Vouet
Study of female figure with putto
ca. 1630-35
drawing
Getty Museum, Los Angeles

Simon Vouet
Study of young man
before 1649
drawing
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

attributed to Simon Vouet
Half-length of Satyr
before 1649
drawing
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Simon Vouet
Three frolicking Putti
before 1649
drawing
Harvard Art Museums

Simon Vouet
Sketch for a mural between tympani
before 1649
drawing
Princeton University Art Museum

Simon Vouet
Design for wall decoration at Fontainebleau
1643-44
drawing
Minneapolis Institute of Art

Life

I made a posy, while the day ran by:
"Here will I smell my remnant out, and tie
                              My life within this band."
But Time did beckon to the flowers, and they
By noon most cunningly did steal away,
                              And withered in my hand.

My hand was next to them, and then my heart;
I took, without more thinking, in good part
                              Time's gentle admonition;
Who did so sweetly death's sad taste convey,
Making my mind to smell my fatal day,
                              Yet sug'ring the suspicion.

Farewell dear flowers, sweetly your time ye spent,
Fit, while ye lived, for smell or ornament,
                              And after death for cures.
I follow straight without complaints or grief,
Since, if my scent be good, I care not if
                              It be as short as yours.

– George Herbert (1593-1633)

Simon Vouet
Bust portrait of young man
ca. 1620-25
drawing
Art Institute of Chicago

Simon Vouet
Portrait of Louis XIII
ca. 1632-35
drawing
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Simon Vouet
Portrait of young woman with pearl earrings
ca. 1632-35
drawing
Art Institute of Chicago

Simon Vouet
Portrait of Cardinal Richelieu
ca. 1632-34
drawing
Getty Museum, Los Angeles