Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Winged Horses (Sculpture, Prints, Drawings, Paintings)

Bertoldo di Giovanni
Bellerophon with Pegasus
ca. 1481-82
bronze statuette
Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna

Nicoletta da Modena
Bellerophon with Pegasus
ca. 1500-1510
engraving
British Museum

Jacopo de' Barbari
Pegasus
ca. 1509-1516
engraving
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Parmigianino
Muse placing a Wreath on the Head of Pegasus
before 1540
drawing
Royal Collection, Great Britain

Parmigianino
Muse placing a Wreath on the Head of Pegasus
before 1540
drawing
Royal Collection, Great Britain

Peripheries

This circle holding the afternoon sky is a lake
For summer business measured in stacked pairs
Of peeling oars whose dinghies all ship water.
Beside it on the trampled grass a carousel shakes
And turns on an Old World instrument
The plink and plank and tinkle of a tune
Of plunging horses in fresh habiliment.
We catch the reins of enamel Pegasus
And lift the child until she is astride
A purple beast, where, wrapping infant arms
About his neck of wood, she whirls in space
And gallops off upon the turning wheel.
The horse climbs steadily the silver pole
Where cherubs hang, then slides toward spinning earth;
She sees the moving heaven of winged babes;
Rising to meet them, rising, she returns
To where our faces, staring in at hers,
Fixed, while her orbit whirls and sunlight burns,
Recede to artifact as her vision blurs.

– Ruth Stone (1959)

Angiolo Falconetto after Giulio Romano
Apollo holding Pipes and accompanied by Pegasus
ca. 1556-60
etching
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Paolo Farinati
Perseus holding the Head of Medusa, with Pegasus
before 1606
drawing
Art Institute of Chicago

Antonio Tempesta
Perseus beheading Medusa, with Pegasus
before 1620
etching
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
(Achenbach Foundation)

Peter Paul Rubens
Perseus and Andromeda, with Pegasus
ca. 1622
oil on panel, transferred to canvas
Hermitage, Saint Petersburg

Nicolas Poussin
Battle Scene with Sorcerer
(from Orlando Furioso)
ca. 1635-38
drawing
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

François Perrier
Diana in her Chariot
before 1650
drawing
Morgan Library, New York

attributed to Michel Corneille the Younger
Pegasus tended by Nymphs
before 1708
drawing
Harvard Art Museums

Odilon Redon
Pegasus and Bellerophon
ca. 1888
drawing
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Odilon Redon
L'Aile
1893
lithograph
British Museum

John Singer Sargent
Sketch for Perseus beheading Medusa, with Pegasus and Athena
ca. 1922-24
oil on canvas
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Lunar Shatters

I came into the world a young man
Then I broke me off
Still the sea and clouds are Pegasus colors
My heart is Pegasus colors but to get there I must go back
Back to the time before I was a woman
Before I broke me off to make a flattened lap
And placed thereon a young man
Where I myself could have dangled
And how I begged him enter there
My broken young man parts
And how I let the mystery collapse
With rugged young man puncture
And how I begged him turn me Pegasus colors
And please to put a sunset there
And gone forever was my feeling snake
And in its place dark letters
And me the softest of all
And me so skinless I could no longer be naked
And me I had to de-banshee
And me I dressed myself
I made a poison suit
I darned it out of myths
Some of the myths were beautiful
Some turned ugly in the making
The myth of the slender girl
The myth of the fat one
The myth of rescue
The myth of young men
The myth of the hair in their eyes
The myth of how beauty would save them
The myth of me and who I must become
The myth of what I am not
And the horses who are no myth
How they do not need to turn Pegasus
They are winged in their un-myth
They holy up the ground
I must holy up the ground
I sanctify the ground and say fuck it
I say fuck it in a way that does not invite death
I say fuck it and fall down no new holes
And I ride an unwinged horse
And I unbecome myself
And I strip my poison suit
And wear my crown of fuck its

– Melissa Broder (2014)