Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Pattern Making

Giulio Clovio
Initial D on opening page of Psaltery
ca. 1569
tempera on vellum
Kupferstichkabinett, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin

Anonymous French Maker
Playing Card - Queen of Hearts
ca. 1595-1625
stencil-colored woodcut
Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge

Domenico Falcini after Jacopo Ligozzi
Allegory of the Genealogy
of Cosimo I de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany

1606
etching and engraving
Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna

Gabriel de Saint-Aubin
Paris Salon of 1767
1767
oil on panel (sketch)
private collection

Matthäus Kern
Picture Room of the Archduchess Sophie of Austria
ca. 1843
watercolor on paper
Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna

Ferdinand Georg Waldmüller
Roses
1843
oil on panel
Liechtenstein Museum, Vienna

Lion Frères (Paris)
Shawl
ca. 1850
cashmere
Musées d'Art et d'Histoire, Genève

W. Sodoma
Pattern for Silk Scarf
ca. 1865
gouache on paper
Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Vienna

Edward Penfield
Harper's July
1897
lithograph (poster)
Kunstbibliothek, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin

Erma Bossi
Café Interior with Two Figures
ca. 1900
oil on cardboard
Lenbachhaus Munich

Piet Mondrian
Tableau No. 1
1913
oil on canvas
Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo, Netherlands

Anonymous Dutch Artist
Sailor's Prosperity
1973
oil on canvas
Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle, Netherlands

Carl Lewis
Realities
ca. 1985
C-print
Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, Texas

Bridget Riley
Shadowplay
1990
oil on canvas
Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge

Mohamed Bourouissa
Carré Rouge
2005
C-print
Institut Valencià d'Art Modern

Martin Gustavsson
In No Particular Order, no. 109
2009
oil and acrylic paint on canvas
Göteborgs Konstmuseum, Sweden

In my style I have professed to imitate the divine Shakespeare, which that I might perform more freely, I have disencumbered myself from rhyme.  Not that I condemn my former way, but that this is more proper to my present purpose.  I hope I need not to explain myself, that I have not copied my author servilely: words and phrases must of necessity receive a change in succeeding ages, but 'tis almost a miracle that much of his language remains so pure, and that he who began dramatic poetry amongst us, untaught by any, as Ben Jonson tells us, without learning, should by the force of his own genius perform so much that in a manner he has left no praise for any who come after him.  The occasion is fair, and the subject would be pleasant, to handle the difference of style betwixt him and Fletcher, and wherein and how far they are both to be imitated.  But since I must not be over-confident of my own performance after him, it will be prudence in me to be silent.  Yet I hope I may affirm, and without vanity, that by imitating him I have excelled myself throughout the play . . .

– John Dryden, from the Preface to All for Love (1677)