![]() |
| Stanley Anderson What a Piece of Work is Man 1936 engraving Dallas Museum of Art |
![]() |
| Berenice Abbott Lyric Theatre, Third Avenue, New York City 1936 gelatin silver print Dallas Museum of Art |
![]() |
| Walker Evans Faces, Pennsylvania Town 1936 gelatin silver print Art Institute of Chicago |
![]() |
| Hans Hofmann Untitled (Yellow Table on Green) 1936 oil on board Dallas Museum of Art |
![]() |
| Rockwell Kent And Now Where? 1936 lithograph Seattle Art Museum |
![]() |
| Clare Leighton Corsican Washerwomen 1936 wood engraving Akron Art Museum, Ohio |
![]() |
| Henri Matisse Reclining Nude with Blue Eyes 1936 oil on canvas Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia |
![]() |
| Stephan Mautner Coracias garrulus 1936 watercolor on paper Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Georgia O'Keeffe Pedernal with Red Hills 1936 oil on linen New Mexico Museum of Art, Santa Fe |
![]() |
| Karl Anton Reichel Portrait of a Woman 1936 drypoint Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Herschel C. Logan Toadstool Rocks 1936 color woodblock print and letterpress (advertising image) Wichita Art Museum, Kansas |
![]() |
| Georges Rouault Ecce Homo 1936 color etching Loeb Art Center, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York |
![]() |
| Rosario Velasco Belausteguigoitia Massacre of the Innocents 1936 oil on canvas Museo de Bellas Artes de Valencia |
![]() |
| André Bauchant Baptism of Christ 1936 oil on canvas Clemens-Sels Museum, Neuss |
![]() |
| Frede Vidar April in the Square 1936 oil on canvas (WPA project) Blanton Museum of Art, Austin, Texas |
![]() |
| N.C. Wyeth Bright and Fair - Eight Bells 1936 oil on canvas Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, Maine |
You
Really, must you,
Over-familiar
Dense companion,
Be there always?
The bond between us
Is chimerical surely:
Yet I cannot break it.
Must I, born for
Sacred play,
Turn base mechanic
So you may worship
Your secular bread,
With no thought
Of the value of time?
Thus far I have known your
Character only
From its pleasanter side,
But you know I know
A day will come
When you grow savage
And hurt me badly.
Totally stupid?
Would that you were:
But, no, you plague me
With tastes I was fool enough
Once to believe in.
Bah!, blockhead:
I know where you learned them.
Can I trust you even
On creaturely fact?
I suspect strongly
You hold some dogma
Of positive truth,
And feed me fictions:
I shall never prove it.
Oh, I know how you came by
A sinner's cranium,
How between two glaciers
The master-chronometer
Of an innocent primate
Altered its tempi:
That explains nothing.
Who tinkered and why?
Why am I certain,
Whatever your faults are,
The fault is mine,
Why is loneliness not
A chemical discomfort,
Nor Being a smell?
– W.H. Auden (1960)



-1936-oil-on-board-Dallas-Museum-of-Art.jpg)
-1936-lithograph-Seattle-Art-Museum.jpg)





-Wichita-Art-Museum-Kansas.jpg)

-Massacre-of-the-Innocents-1936-oil-on-canvas-Museo-de-Bellas-Artes-de-Valencia.jpg)

-Blanton-Museum-of-Art-Austin-Texas.jpeg)
