Friday, July 31, 2026

Visual Preferences (20th Century: 1945)

Weegee
VJ Day Parade in Little Italy
1945
gelatin silver print
Fralin Museum of Art, Charlottesville, Virginia

Ángel Bracho
Victoria
1945
linocut and letterpress
Weatherspoon Art Museum, Greensboro, North Carolina

Nikolai Fedorovich Denisovskii
Victory!
1945
stencil-print and letterpress
Art Institute of Chicago

Dmitry Baltermants
Agfa, Berlin
(Russian officer posed with mannequins)
1945
gelatin silver print
Akron Art Museum, Ohio

Pablo Picasso
Still Life with Skull
1945
oil on canvas
Menil Collection, Houston

Robert Motherwell
Untitled
1945
watercolor and ink on paper
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

Josef Albers
Kinetic V
1945
oil on panel
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

Anonymous Photographer
Woman and Girl posed on Front Walk
1945
hand-colored gelatin silver print
Art Institute of Chicago

Milton Avery
The Card Players
1945
oil on canvas
Blanton Museum of Art, Austin, Texas

Gerald Brockhurst
The Basque Boy
1945
lithograph
Frye Art Museum, Seattle

Serge Charchoune
Fourchettes
1945
oil on canvas
Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle, Netherlands

Marshall Glasier
The Boat Ride
1945
oil on board
Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Wisconsin

Albert Gleizes
Composition
1945
screenprint
Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami

Georgia O'Keeffe
Cebolla Church
1945
oil on canvas
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

David Smith
Classic Figure III
1945
bronze
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

Rockwell Kent
Endless Energy for Limitless Living
1945
oil on canvas
(advertising image for the coal industry)
Dayton Art Institute, Ohio

from Dichtung und Wahrheit (An Unwritten Poem)

                                                              IV
It would not be enough that I should believe that what I had written was true: to satisfy me, the truth of this poem must be self-evident. It would have to be written, for example, in such a way that no reader could misread I love You as "I love you." 

                                                               V
If I were a composer, I believe I could produce a piece of music which would express to a listener what I mean when I think the word love, but it would be imposible for me to compose it in such a way that he would know that this love was felt for You (not for God, or my mother, or the decimal system). The language of music is, as it were, intransitive, and it is just this intransitivity which makes it meaningless for a listener to ask – "Does the composer really mean what he says, or is he only pretending?"

                                                               VI
If I were a painter, I believe I could paint a portrait that would express to an onlooker what I mean when I think the word You (beautiful, loveable, etc.), but it would be impossible for me to paint it in such a way that he would know that I loved You. The language of painting lacks, as it were, the Active Voice, and it is just this objectivity which makes it meaningless for an onlooker to ask – "Is this really a portrait of N (not of a young boy, a judge or a locomotive in disguise)?" 

– W.H. Auden (1959)