![]() |
| Hans Lesker Self Portrait ca. 1910 oil on canvas Lenbachhaus Munich |
![]() |
| Lucas van Leyden Self Portrait ca. 1525-26 oil on panel Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, Braunschweig |
![]() |
| Carl Goebel Portrait of artist Josef Klieber 1844 drawing Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Govert Flinck Head of a Man ca. 1650 drawing Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Giandomenico Tiepolo after Giambattista Tiepolo Head Study ca. 1772-73 etching and engraving Kupferstichkabinett, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen, Dresden |
![]() |
| Tobias Stimmer Portrait of condottiero Ugoccione della Faggiuola ca. 1570 woodcut Kupferstichkabinett, Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg |
![]() |
| Paul Cézanne Self Portrait ca. 1878-80 oil on canvas Neue Pinakothek, Munich |
![]() |
| Wenceslaus Hollar after Karel Škréta Head of a Young Man 1635 etching Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, Braunschweig |
![]() |
| Antonio Tempesta Julius Caesar 1596 etching Kupferstichkabinett, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen, Dresden |
![]() |
| Henry Jones Thaddeus Portrait of Corsican Fisherboy 1897 watercolor on paper Ashmolean Museum, Oxford |
![]() |
| Leopold Stolba Spanish Nobleman ca. 1890 drawing Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Giambattista Moroni Portrait of a Man ca. 1550 oil on canvas Detroit Institute of Arts |
![]() |
| Ferdinand Heilbuth The Reader 1856 oil on canvas Hamburger Kunsthalle |
![]() |
| Ottavio Leoni Portrait of artist Tommaso Salini 1625 etching Staatliche Graphische Sammlung, Munich |
![]() |
| Anonymous German Artist Portrait Study of a Youth ca. 1510-20 drawing Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
![]() |
| Christoph Unterberger Grotesque Mask before 1798 watercolor and gouache on paper Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna |
Antony
I thought how those white arms would fold me in,
And strain me close, and melt me into love;
So pleased with that sweet image, I sprung forwards,
And added all my strength to every blow.
Cleopatra
Come to me, come, my soldier, to my arms!
You've been too long away from my embraces;
But when I have you fast, and all my own,
With broken murmurs and with amorous sighs
I'll say you were unkind, and punish you,
And mark you red with many an eager kiss.
Antony
My brighter Venus!
Cleopatra O my greater Mars!
Antony
Thou join'st us well, my love!
Suppose me come from the Phlegraean plains,
Where gasping giants lay, cleft by my sword,
And mountain tops pared off each other blow
To bury those I slew. Receive me, goddess!
Let Caesar spread his subtle nets, like Vulcan:
In thy embraces I would be beheld
By Heaven and earth at once,
And make their envy what they meant their sport.
Let those who took us blush; I would love on
With awful state, regardless of their frowns,
As their superior god.
There's no satiety of love in thee:
Enjoyed, thou still art new; perpetual spring
Is in thy arms; the ripened fruit but falls,
And blossoms rise to fill its empty place,
And I grow rich by giving.
– John Dryden, All for Love (1677)














-Graphische-Sammlung-Albertina-Vienna.jpg)
