Sunday, August 23, 2026

Visual Preferences (20th Century: 1965)

Kelly Fearing
Fleeing Man with Owl and Moon
1965
oil paint and silver leaf on panel
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Reinier Lucassen
Pin Up (Spring in the Tyrol)
1965
acrylic on canvas
Kunstmuseum, The Hague

Arthur Siegel
State Street, Chicago
1965
dye imbibition print
Art Institute of Chicago

Betty Parsons
Winter
1965
oil on canvas
Weatherspoon Art Museum, Greensboro, North Carolina

Alex Katz
Ada and Neil, Maine
(Study for Lawn Party)
1965
oil on board
Portland Museum of Art, Maine

Edna Andrade
Space Frame C
1965
oil on canvas
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Helen Frankenthaler
Air Frame
1965
screenprint
Loeb Art Center, Vassar College,
Poughkeepsie, New York

Leonard Freed
Bayer Werke in Leverkusen, West Germany
1965
gelatin silver print
Loeb Art Center, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York

Barbara Hepworth
Contrapuntal Forms (Mycenae)
1965
marble
Dallas Museum of Art

Roy Lichtenstein
Reverie
1965
screenprint
Wichita Art Museum, Kansas

Robert Motherwell
Lyric Suite
1965
ink on paper
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Robert Motherwell
Lyric Suite
1965
ink on paper
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Nathan Oliveira
Standing Figure
1965
watercolor on paper
Weatherspoon Art Museum, Greensboro, North Carolina

A.R. Penck
Methode Fertigzuwerden
1965
oil on linen
Hall Collection, Schloss Derneburg, Germany

Maija Isola for Marimekko (Finland)
Kaivo
1965
panel of screen-printed cotton
Art Institute of Chicago

Andy Warhol
Liz
1965
screenprint
Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami

from Horae Canonicae

                   VI. COMPLINE (part I)

Now, as desire and the things desired
     Cease to require attention,
As, seizing its chance, the body escapes,
     Section by section, to join
Plants in their chaster peace which is more
     To its real taste, now a day is its past,
Its last deed and feeling in, should come
     The instant of recollection
When the whole thing makes sense: it comes, but all
     I recall are doors banging,
Two housewives scolding, an old man gobbling,
     A child's wild look of envy,
Actions, words, that could fit any tale,
     And I fail to see either plot
Or meaning; I cannot remember
     A thing between noon and three.

Nothing is with me now but a sound,
     A heart's rhythm, a sense of stars
Leisurely walking around, and both
     Talk a language of motion
I can measure but not read: maybe
     My heart is confessing her part
In what happened to us from noon till three,
     That constellations indeed
Sing of some hilarity beyond
     All liking and happening,
But, knowing I neither know what they know
     Nor what I ought to know, scorning
All vain fornications of fancy,
     Now let me, blessing them both
For the sweetness of their cessations,
     Accept our separations.

– W.H. Auden (1954)