Sunday, August 9, 2026

Visual Preferences (20th Century: 1954)

Victor Brauner
Unfolding Head
1954
watercolor on paper
Menil Collection, Houston

Stuart Davis
Colonial Cubism
1954
oil on canvas
Walker Art Center, Minneapolis

Richard Diebenkorn
Berkeley no. 8
1954
oil on canvas
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

Robert Doisneau
Le Jeune Homme et Rita
1954
gelatin silver print
Akron Art Museum, Ohio

Jean Dubuffet
Bestower of Blessings
1954
oil paint and lacquer on canvas
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

Marcel Duchamp
Wedge of Chastity
1954
bronze and plastic
Menil Collection, Houston

Fernand Léger
Picnic
1954
oil on canvas
Museum Ludwig, Cologne

Frank Lobdell
July 1954
1954
oil on canvas
Menil Collection, Houston

Giorgio Morandi
Still Life
1954
oil on canvas
Kunstmuseum, The Hague

Marlow Moss
Composition in White, Blue, Yellow and Black
1954
oil on canvas
Kunstmuseum, The Hague

Aldo Pagliacci
Untitled
1954
oil on canvas
Nasher Museum of Art, Durham, North Carolina

Pablo Picasso
Portrait of Sylvette
1954
oil on canvas
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio, Texas

James Reid
Studio Portrait of Elvis Presley
1954
gelatin silver print
Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, Tennessee

Grace Robertson
Bermondsey Women's Pub Outing
1954
gelatin silver print
Loeb Art Center, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York

Charles Sheeler
Stacks in Celebration
1954
oil on canvas
Dayton Art Institute, Ohio

Larry Silver
Contestants, Muscle Beach, Santa Monica, California
1954
gelatin silver print
Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington

from Dichtung und Wahrheit (An Unwritten Poem)
                                                          
                                                           XXXV
If we were total strangers (so that the possibility of a You-feeling on either side were excluded) and, accosting you in the street, I were to say I love You, you would not only understand exactly what I was saying but also have no doubt that I meant it; you would never think: – "Is this man deceiving himself or lying to me?" (Of course, you might be wrong: I might be accosting you in order to win a bet or make someone else jealous.) But we are not strangers and that is not what I mean (or not all that I mean). Whatever I may mean could not be equally well conveyed by gestures but can be expressed, if at all, in speech (that is why I wish to write this poem), and wherever speech is necessary, lying and self-deception are both possible.

                                                           XXXVI
I can pretend to others that I am not hungry when I am (I feel ashamed to admit I cannot afford a decent meal) or that I am hungry when I am not (my hostess's feelings will be hurt if I don't eat): But – Am I hungry or not? How hungry? It is difficult to imagine being uncertain or self-deceived as to the true answer.

                                                           XXXVII
I am slightly hungry; I am very hungry; I am starving: it is clear that I am speaking of three degrees of the same appetite. I love You a bit; I love You a lot; I love You madly: Am I still speaking of different degrees? Or of different kinds?

– W.H. Auden (1959)