Monday, August 10, 2026

Visual Preferences (20th Century: 1955)

Franz Kline
Orange Outline
1955
oil on paper, mounted on canvas
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

Le Corbusier
The Open Hand
1955
lithograph
Art Institute of Chicago

George Platt Lynes
Man in T-Shirt
1955
gelatin silver print
Fralin Museum of Art, Charlottesville, Virginia

Joan Mitchell
City Landscape
1955
oil on linen
Art Institute of Chicago

Frank Paulin
Woman with Bible
1955
gelatin silver print
Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami

Francis Bacon
Head in Grey
1955
oil on canvas
Walker Art Center, Minneapolis

James Brooks
Album Art for Juilliard String Quartet
1955
offset print
Dallas Museum of Art

Lucien Clergue
Young Acrobats, Arles, France
1955
gelatin silver print
Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami

Freddy Dosh
Cityscape with Cathedral
1955
oil on board
Museum de Fundatie, Zwolle, Netherlands

Max Ernst
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
1955
oil on panel
Menil Collection, Houston

Robert Frank
Hoboken City Fathers
1955
gelatin silver print
Akron Art Museum, Ohio

Grace Hartigan
Interior with Mexican Doll
1955
oil on canvas
North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh

Robert Rauschenberg
Jasper, Studio, NYC #6
1955
gelatin silver print
Art Institute of Chicago

Jack de Rijk
Those Safety Glasses Were Not Useless
1955
lithograph (poster in Dutch)
Allard Pierson Museum, Amsterdam

Larry Rivers
Berdie in Blue Tea Towel
1955
oil on canvas
Loeb Art Center, Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York

Amos Sewell
Circuit Breaker
1955
oil on board (magazine illustration)
New Britain Museum of American Art, Connecticut

from Dichtung und Wahrheit (An Unwritten Poem)
                                                          
                                                          XXXVIII
Do I love You? I could answer No with a certainty that I was speaking the truth on condition that you were someone in whom I took so little interest that it would never occur to me to ask myself the question; but there is no condition which would allow me to answer Yes with certainty. Indeed, I am inclined to believe that the more closely my feelings might approximate to the feeling which would make Yes the true answer, the more doubtful I should become. (Were you to ask: – "Do you love me?" – I should be readier, I believe, to answer Yes, if I knew this to be a lie.)   

                                                           XXXIX
Can I imagine I love when in fact I do not? Certainly. Can I imagine that I do not hate when in fact I do? Certainly. Can I imagine I only hate when in fact I both hate and love? Yes, that is possible too. But could I imagine that I hated when in fact I did not? Under what circumstances would I have a motive for deceiving myself about this? 

                                                              XL
Romantic Love: I do not need to have experienced this myself to give a fairly accurate description, since for centuries the notion has been one of the main obsessions of Western Culture. Could I imagine its counter-notion – Romantic Hate? What would be its conventions? Its vocabulary? What would a culture be like in which this notion was as much an obsession as that of Romantic Love is in our own? Supposing I were to experience it myself, should I be able to recognize it as Romantic Hate? 

                                                              XLI
Hatred tends to exclude from consciousness every thought except that of the Hated One; but love tends to enlarge consciousness; the thought of the Beloved acts like a magnet, surrounding itself with other thoughts. Is this one reason why a happy love poem is rarely so convincing as an unhappy one: the happy lover seems continually to be forgetting his beloved to think about the universe? 

– W.H. Auden (1959)