Thursday, August 6, 2026

Visual Preferences (20th Century: 1951)

Mark Rothko
No. 7
1951
oil on canvas
private collection

Manolis Polymeris
Figure in Red
1951
oil on panel
National Gallery, Athens

John Piper
Study for Shobdon Folly
1951
watercolor, gouache and collage on paper
Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York

Aldo Pagliacci
Interior of a Church in Flames
1951
oil on panel
Southampton City Art Gallery, Hampshire

Roy Lichtenstein
Roping the Brahman
1951
oil on canvas
Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami

Fernand Léger
Les Constructeurs
1951
oil on canvas
Menil Collection, Houston

Yousuf Karsh
Advertising Shot for Ford of Canada
1951
gelatin silver print
Art Institute of Chicago

Raoul Dufy
Tucson Square Dance
1951
watercolor on paper
Milwaukee Art Museum

Robert Doisneau
Les Géants du Nord
1951
gelatin silver print
Akron Art Museum, Ohio

John Craxton
The Dancer
1951
oil on canvas
Jerwood Collection, London

Forrest Bess
View of Maya
1951
oil on canvas
Menil Collection, Houston

Francis Bacon
Pope I
1951
oil on canvas
Aberdeen Art Gallery, Scotland

Clare Atwood
Self Portrait in a Hat with a Basket of Vegetables
1951
oil on canvas
National Trust, Fenton House, London

Hans Arp
Dreams and Projects
1951
woodcut
Loeb Art Center, Vassar College,
Poughkeepsie, New York

Karel Appel
Child IV
1951
oil on canvas
Kunstmuseum, The Hague

Harold Allen
Still Life in Stanley Mitruk's Studio
1951
gelatin silver print
Art Institute of Chicago

from Dichtung und Wahrheit (An Unwritten Poem)

                                                          XXIV
When his affair with Criseyde was going nicely, Troilus became an even fiercer warrior than before – "Save Ector most ydred of any wight" – but a gentler sportsman – "The smale bestes leet he gon biside." And we certainly sometimes say of an acquaintance who claims to have fallen in love: – "It must be true this time. He used to be so malicious about everybody but now, since he met N, he never utters an unkind word." But it is impossible to imagine a lover himself saying: – "It must be true that I love N because I am so much nicer now than I was before we met." (It is, perhaps, just possible to imagine him saying: – "I believe that N must really love me because she has made me so much nicer.")

                                                           XXV
In any case, this poem I should like to write is not concerned with the proposition "He loves Her" (where He and She could be fictitious persons whose characters and history the poet is free to idealize as much as he choose), but with my proposition I love You (where I and You are persons whose existence and histories could be verified by a private detective).

                                                           XXVI
It is a grammatical convention of the English language that a speaker should refer to himself as "I" and to the person he is addressing as "You", but there are many situations in which a different convention would serve equally well. It might be the rule, for example, when making polite conversation with strangers or when addressing public officials, to use the third person: – "Mr Smith likes cats, doesn't Miss Jones?"; "Can the honourable conductor tell the humble passenger when this train leaves?"  There are many situations, that is to say, in which the use of the pronoun "I" and "You" is not accompanied by the I-feeling or the You-feeling.

– W.H. Auden (1959)